When

by blogasana on July 17, 2010

Bubby stopped at a yard sale this morning and came home with these:

Old black and white photos of innocence and simple times.

I used to love to run through the sprinklers. Screaming, the rush of cold tickles, feet in the grass: the epitome of innocence and simplicity.

They probably have an app for it now.

My eye was drawn to the little girl who could have been me, who could have been you. Arms in the air… complete faith, just enjoying the ride. A look of utter glee. Complete absorption in the moment.

I miss that girl today.

Amy --- Just A Titch July 18, 2010 at 1:32 am

Sometimes when I watch the friends of my kids play and such, I try to remember what it felt like to be that young and carefree and unconcerned about what people thought and what I was doing. I miss those days. The pictures above are so lovely and fun!

blogasana July 19, 2010 at 5:24 pm

@amy – i hear ya. kids are the best examples of living in the moment!

Deborah King July 18, 2010 at 5:07 am

That little girl looks a lot like Madeline.

blogasana July 19, 2010 at 5:24 pm

@deborah – oh my gosh, she does!

Madeleine July 23, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Hello Darling,

These photos are lovely and amazing.

If I may offer a slightly different perspective, I find the idea that there was ever a time, whether in our personal history or mankind’s, that was simpler or more innocent about as helpful as the “I’m so busy” narrative. Know what I mean? I guess whether we’re little or big, vintage or modern, it only makes sense to me that we’re the same combination of fears and flaws, with the potential for freedom and love…

Or maybe I was just a sad and lonely little child.

From here, I’ll leave it to the poets:

“Turn away no more
Why wilt thou turn away?
The starry floor
The watery shore
Are given thee until the break of day”
—Blake, Songs of Experience

“What falls away is always, and is near.”
—Roethke, The Awakening

blogasana July 24, 2010 at 2:47 am

leave you to you, friend, to shed a different light. thank you.
i get what you’re saying. i do. and i know it’s a bit of my nostalgia that gets me in trouble sometimes. =)
and… it could be partly where i grew up… i think they really were simple times. culturally, recreationally, economically.
i do get that it may not be very useful to go/reference back to that since those are no longer my circumstances.
just enjoying considering this new perspective.
you’re the best. xo