happy birthday, bubby

by blogasana on December 6, 2010

Reverb December 6 ā€“ Make.
What was the last thing you made? What materials did you use? Is there something you want to make, but you need to clear some time for it? (Author: Gretchen Rubin)

***

Every year for Bubby‘s birthday I make German Chocolate Cake. Today is his birthday.

It is agreed in the family that we have this cake only once a year—it’s that good. To have it more often might diminish the make-your-mouth-water-iness of it, but more importantly, we would all be as big as the house. There is no holding back with this cake.

Even today in yoga class, a student overheard me talking about birthday dinner plans and she came over to say, “Are you making that cake?” I remembered that four years ago I had to get the cake out of the house so I took it to the early-bird class so they could have breakfast on their way out. She was there.

You would remember this cake.

There’s nothing special about the recipe. In fact, I buy a box cake (which ever one is on sale) and follow the frosting recipe on the inside of the baker’s German Chocolate box. Since I don’t actually buy the baker’s chocolate to make the cake I have to open one from the shelf and pucker the side of the box so I can read the interior wall. Horrible, I know.

I don’t think it’s the cake itself that is so intoxicating (well, maybe it is). It’s more the love and care and tradition that goes into making the cake.

Like in yoga. We aren’t really teaching poses, we’re teaching love and acceptance and compassion—the poses are just vehicles in which to teach the real Yoga. Same goes for the cake. I’m really baking I love you for life and I am grateful for you — it just comes in the form of a German Chocolate cake.

It’s not always what you do, it’s how you do it.

Madeleine December 6, 2010 at 11:12 pm

This post made me salivate. Unreal. Lucky guy!

bachatero80 December 6, 2010 at 11:26 pm

@Madeleine. Word.

It also made me want to re-read Like Water for Chocolate.

Deborah King December 7, 2010 at 12:54 pm

so is there a special hiking place on the net where one might find THIS recipe?

Happy Birthday to you dear hubby.

Deborah King December 7, 2010 at 1:14 pm

hiking = hiding.

Although ….

Tracy December 7, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Happy Day to your dear Bubby, Michelle. A cake so good it can only be made once a year… I like the very specialness of that! And I love your baking sentiments, “Iā€™m really baking I love you for life”. It’s been wonderfully inspiring to read your recent posts. (Incidentally, I’m a Capricorn too!) We’re back from our Thanksgiving/USA trip–had wonderful time! I’m slowing getting to visiting and such though, as I’ve not been feeling too well in recent days–but getting there. Great to be catching up with you and back in blogland. :o) Happy Days ((HUGS))

blogasana December 7, 2010 at 6:02 pm

@mads – lucky indeed.

@ryan – yes!

@deborah – why yes, here it is! http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/coconut-pecan-filling-frosting-51053.aspx

then you’ll have to go hiking :)

@tracy – welcome home!! hope your re-entry is smooth and restful. looking forward to posts and pics from your trip. xoxo