introducing…

by blogasana on December 23, 2010

Reverb10 December 23New Name
Let’s meet again, for the first time. If you could introduce yourself to strangers by another name for just one day, what would it be and why? (Author: Becca Wilcott)

***

About 10 years ago, as an uncharacteristically brave gesture of holiday spirit, I signed up for a caroling group with my church. With no practice, we were to go to two different senior centers spreading Christmas cheer. (Dear me, I have sung in public before!)

There was nothing remarkable about me signing up for this event except that I had just ended a long-term relationship and was in a place of discovering new layers of myself and my spirituality.

The group of carolers was diverse — men, women, older, younger, musicians and lip syncers. As introductions when around the caroling group, I met a sweet fatherly man named Fred.

Fred is not his real name. I believe his name his Dave.

I had seen him at church before: he sang in the choir and played guitar.

As I introduced myself, immediately he said, No. Your name should be… Anastasia.

Huh. Ok.

So I spent the day as Anastasia. (And because I had a new name, he spent the day as Fred.)

I wore a Santa hat, sang loudly, felt a little sassy with a dash of exotic.

I liked it. It felt confident.

Anastasia marches to the beat of her own drum.

Anastasia says what she thinks.

Anastasia wears big earrings.

Oddly enough, Anastasia also wears sparkles and has short spunky hair.

I might be living my way into myself after all.

***

And to this day when I see Fred at church, he calls me Anastasia.

***

What would your name be?

Diane December 24, 2010 at 7:10 am

After College in NYC my name was Cynthia.

Later I changed to Francesca and now I’m India. All these names gave me a little mystery, another character and a style that perhaps can more easily be stepped into when we choose our name and even let it change over time.

And my how I’ve changed….I think India is a whole lot more fun than Cynthia……..so is it all in a name?

madyoga December 24, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Anastasia it is! She is regal.

bachatero80 December 24, 2010 at 11:57 pm

Anastasia doesn’t need to buy or wear sassy yoga pants.

Any pants Anastasia wears are automatically sassy yoga pants.

She might even be something of a Fairy Queen, come to think of it.

Tracy December 25, 2010 at 12:19 pm

This is such a sweet story! I’ve always love the exotic name Anastasia. It is actually the name I took at my Catholic confirmation as a young teenager. I’m no longer a practicing Catholic having left that faith some many years ago, but still fun to consider the name. But my name right now would be ARIA…a self-contained piece of expressive melody… Seeking the inner truth, the inner light and bringing it forth with grace & sharing, is where I’m at right now. :o) Happy Holidays, Michelle ((HUGS))

Elizabeth December 26, 2010 at 7:04 pm

I love the name Anastasia. It makes me think of cold and fur hats and Russia and the steppes and far away and long ago. (No idea why though.)

In the moment, I might pick the name Caroline. Not because of the name so much, but because Caroline was a girl in a story who dressed as a boy in order to follow her brothers out west (they thought it was too dangerous and wouldn’t take her). She was courageous and adventurous and her dreams came true.

Kelley M January 2, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Anastasia Beaverhousen? LOL Did you ever see Will and Grace? Remember how Karen used to use that name as her pseudonym.

That’s how she felt then too…..good for you.