it’s only sort of about the biscuits

by blogasana on May 18, 2011

Today I needed to bake. I needed to make something with my hands, to watch the miraculous transformation happen when separate ingredients are combined together, to taste something warm, just out of the oven.

As I was gathering ingredients, I put on the Teach Now interview with teacher and poet, Jack Ridl. A funny man with an infectious laugh, he talked about how, even though we claim to be very process oriented, in this culture we are still very geared toward the product.

Sometimes the only access to reality is baking bread, or writing a poem… or where ever it is you go — there are things that only happen there.

Certain things can only happen with jazz, different things can only happen with poems, or walking in the woods.

What happens while you’re doing it?

What happens while you’re doing it is the important question. Not What do you get when you’re done.

Well, unless you’re talking about Coconut Biscuit Poppers.

Remember, I don’t do anything complicated in the kitchen. If it’s not easy, I don’t make it.

Enjoy the process, notice what happens while you’re in it. The bonus here is also enjoying the product :)

Coconut Biscuit Poppers

1 c Pamela’s Baking and Pancake Mix
1/2 c finely shredded unsweetened coconut
2 T sugar
1/2 t Clabber Girl or Rumford Baking Powder (gluten free)
2 T Smart Balance 50/50 Butter Blend Original
2 T milk, plus additional if needed

Pamela’s Baking Mix =

I’m sure another brand
would be fine too…

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Combine baking mix, coconut, sugar and baking powder in bowl.

3. Cut in butter (I use regular butter, and about 1 T more than called for) with a pastry blender (I just use my hands). Gently stir in just enough milk to form a dough that will hold together in a ball.
4. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a thickness of 1/2 inch and cut into 2 inch rounds. Sprinkle with additional coconut.

5. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool for 5 minutes. Recipe can be doubled (which is the only way I make it).

Dee-VINE.

*Recipe from Raley’s magazine.

Leili Learning Life May 19, 2011 at 3:35 am

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

blogasana May 19, 2011 at 1:33 pm

best comment ever, leili! enjoy!

Leili Learning Life May 19, 2011 at 2:48 pm

I was telling Brandon about these this morning.

I, too, enjoy the process of cooking. Sure, it’s important that the end result be good (perhaps delicious, memorable, or even just edible). But when I’m really vested in the process and making inquiries from the present moment (“what would bring out this flavor?” or “is now the right time to add these vegetables?”), only then do I get a good end product. It’s so obvious in cooking how important it is to be present in the process, but harder for me to remember in other realms. I love Ridl’s reference to jazz — truly, truly jazz only happens while you’re doing it.

blogasana May 20, 2011 at 6:26 pm

mmm, i love your description of cooking — so sensual and aware. yes, there’s something that only happens with jazz… :P

Diane May 20, 2011 at 4:37 am

Always good to be reminded that I’m in the “process” no matter what finished product I’m looking toward. And all the processes and goals are overlapping and extending to infinity.
So thanks for the reminder because of my little voice says if I work hard enough, I’ll have everything done and I’ll get to sit!
Oh my, it has to be about enjoying the process………..which is ever expanding and on going…..thank goodness….

xo

blogasana May 20, 2011 at 6:28 pm

heehee, i hear you, diane. “after” all this work, all these things, “then” i’ll rest, sit, be done. but there is no “there” to get it!! spoof on us!!! xoxoo

Y is for Yogini May 24, 2011 at 10:40 am

coconut + biscuits = genius. ;)