when in texas

by blogasana on July 22, 2011

Everyone told me it would be hot in Texas. The friend I was going to visit even warned me that it was hot — 100+.

That’s fine. Sacramento has hot summers. I can take it. Bring it on, Texas.

Contrast this with needing a jacket in the house.

My friend — who is 7 1/2 months pregnant — had the thermostat set at 68.

I’ve been eating a ton of watermelon granita to beat the heat and stay hydrated this summer, but in Texas, it had a whole new level of necessity: cool off my hot-mama friend.

Even if it’s not hot where you are — and even if you don’t think you like watermelon all that much (this granita is my non-fruit-eating husband’s absolute favorite thing) — give it a try. Its icy, refreshing sweetness will make you pucker in delight.

Watermelon Granita

Scoop 1 mini watermelon into blender (3/4 full), or if it’s a large melon, save half for a later batch.

Add juice of 1 lemon and 1/2 cup (or less) sugar to blender.
Puree in batches. (I add a little of the sugar and lemon to each batch.)

Pour into glass dish – size dependent on size of watermelon.

Put in freezer. This is the hardest part, because you’ll want to eat it immediately. Depending on size of dish, it will start freezing in 30-60 minutes. In about 2 hours it will most likely be icy enough to enjoy, and not too hard to cut through. I make big or multiple batches and keep them in the freezer — to thaw, just leave on the counter for 10 minutes then cut into chunks with a butter knife.

Garnish with mint if you’re feeling fancy.

Y’all chill out and enjoy!

Cecile July 22, 2011 at 1:59 am

ok this will be on my list as soon as i finish the cleanse…. enjoy your jacket it seems like the best option…

Elizabeth July 22, 2011 at 3:29 am

Oh! I think I made this once for a party. Except I had to freeze it into a ring. I remember that my blender was pink from that day onward. I remember it being delicious, though now I’ll have to wait ’til we actually have warm weather. :)

blogasana July 22, 2011 at 4:19 pm

or maybe you could eat it the same way i eat ice cream in the winter: under the covers with some hot tea :))

Ann Wehrman July 22, 2011 at 4:19 am

Yum, Michelle, thanks for the great recipe! I wonder how it would taste if made with stevia, maple syrup, honey, etc instead of regular sugar?

Love your discussion of the heat: “What no one told me is that this is a heat that slaps you across the face when you walk out the front door at 9 am. At noon you’re on your knees begging it to have mercy. By 4 pm the delirium has set in and you can’t imagine ever not sweating.” very descriptive!

Take care of yourself and hope to see you soon!

blogasana July 22, 2011 at 4:20 pm

ann, yes other types of sugar would probably work. or no sugar… esp if the watermelon is really sweet.

Tracy July 22, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Hi, Michelle! Thank you for the wonderful recipe! I must try this one. I made a lemon granita ages ago, it was so good. Lately my husband & I have been making sorbet…shouldn’t be having the cream or so much sugar, but with fresh berries & fruit in season it’s hard not to! Keep cool there… Happy Summer Days! Oh, btw, I’m writing from a new place in blogland. :o)

blogasana July 22, 2011 at 4:23 pm

tracy – must know about this lemon granita!! the sorbet sounds divine. and i love the new blog :))

madyoga July 22, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Thank you!!!! I actually bought a watermelon Sunday to make this, and then couldn’t find the exact recipe. This one’s easier than the other’s on the net, will make it tonight!

Gary July 22, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Everything is bigger in Texas including the heat. When you open the front door the heat knocks you back like you’ve just opened the oven in the kitchen.

blogasana July 22, 2011 at 10:47 pm

gary – seriously!

Brittany July 23, 2011 at 4:58 pm

ohhh this looks absolutely delicious!