real life strikes again

by michelle on February 24, 2012

Remember when Real Life was coming through the walls of the studio?

Well, life is at it again, this time in the form of a new roof!

I couldn’t be more happy, as rain shower in the studio is not ideal. And… I am once again up against my ingrained idea that it is my job to create a perfectly quiet, protected cocoon in which to experience the blissful state of Yoga.

Until I remember, there is no such place.

For the next four days, the beat of the hammer will represent the pulse of the class. We will meet life as is rather than manufactured.

I am grateful to have such “first world problems” as there are some distractions during my Yoga practice¬†and a new roof to shield us.

How do you meet distractions in your practice? If you teach, do you feel protective of students and their experience?

mike February 24, 2012 at 2:23 pm

I would absolutely be protective of my students, but it might be a useful lesson in keeping centered while dealing with distractions.

Just so long as it’s not those God-awful motorcycles.

…or the smell of brownies.

michelle February 26, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Haaaa!! motorcycles and brownies… where ever would you come up with such things? :P

Jennifer Souza February 25, 2012 at 1:23 pm

The noises at the old studio never bothered me once. :-)

michelle February 26, 2012 at 11:06 pm

good to hear, jen! xo

Michelle J February 25, 2012 at 4:39 pm

We’ve all dealt with distractions (to varying degrees of success). We’ll be fine, but thanks for looking out for us.

michelle February 26, 2012 at 11:07 pm

xoxo :)

Rebekah February 26, 2012 at 10:55 am

Last night I was at a movie and the person next to me was caughing, whispering to her friend, rustling through her purse for caugh drops, loudly eating popcorn, loudly breathing…it was impressively rude! But, having read your blog post shortly before the movie, I somehow found her antics a bit amusing instead of extremely annoying. (Though I couldn’t help but shoot her a few death stares!)

As for distractions in class…they are bound to happen sometimes. And, for the record, IAY does feel like a protected cacoon in which to practice the blissful state of yoga, even though it may not always be perfectly quiet!

michelle February 26, 2012 at 11:08 pm

rebekah – i love that you can be moderately amused AND shoot death stares!! i mean, we have to have balance, right? :P i’m glad there’s a little cocooning for you at the studio… xoxo

Rebekah February 28, 2012 at 12:14 am

Well, to be fair, the movie was over two hours long. The death stares were mostly in the first 10 minutes or so and then I moved into a more zen state of mild amusement… it would have been a long two hours if I stayed pissed the whole time! :-)

PS – Thanks for yet another fab class tonight!

Kylie March 2, 2012 at 4:52 pm

If I waited for the perfect conditions in which to meditate, practice yoga, or maybe even (gasp!) live life, I’d be waiting for a really long time. I’m always relearning that things like leaky roofs and hammering noises aren’t *interruptions* in life; they *are* life. Somehow, when I remember that, I’m able to freak out just the tiniest bit less about it all.